Alhold Delhaize USA, the parent company of East Coast supermarkets Giant Food, Stop & Shop, Food Lion and Hannaford, announced this week that it plans to donate $10 million in the form of a relief package to address critical needs in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. The company plans to distribute the funds in a variety of ways, including the following.
- $3.5 million to feed and care for communities on the East Coast
- $2 million for associate care funds that support employees and their families in times of need
- $1.5 million in funding to support medical research to create a vaccine and cure for COVID-19
- Stop & Shop: $1 million divided among 13 regional food bank partners
- Giant Food: $550,000 to Feeding America regional food banks, along with food product donations to area food banks
- Food Lion: $500,000 towards the donation of 5 million meals to community food bank partners to feed students and seniors, and $100,000 to Feeding America and other local food organizations
- The GIANT Company: $500,000 to support local hunger relief organizations, as well as COVID-19 testing and mitigation efforts at five children’s hospitals
- Hannaford: $250,000 to regional food banks in critically impacted areas in five states
Ahold Delhaize USA is also providing support in the form of 20,000 employment opportunities. The company, a division of Netherlands-based Ahold Delhaize, operates more than 2,000 stores on the East Coast.