In a recent survey of 10,000 U.S. consumers, Amazon was the preferred retailer for groceries, beating out Trader Joe’s and other regional and national chains. The survey was conducted by consumer data science firm dunnhumby.
The top 25%, in order, were as follows:
- H-E-B (#1 in 2020)
- Trader Joe’s (#1 in 2018 and 2019)
- Market Basket
- Sam’s Club
- Fresh Thyme
- Sprouts Farmers Market
Survey factors included price, qualtiy, digital, convenience and speed, among others, and how those factors influence customers’ connection to grocery retailers.
According to the survey, speed was most important to customers. Dunnhumby noted that during the pandemic, speedy shopping is linked to safer shopping, and online services, smaller stores, less foot traffic and contactless pay are viewed as factors that speed up the shopping experience.
According to Supermarket News, the top five grocery retailers for each factor in the survey were as follows:
- Price: Aldi, Market Basket, WinCo, Lidl, Food4Less
- Quality: Wegmans, Trader Joe’s, Fersh Thyme, The Fresh Market, Sprouts
- Digital: Amazon, Target, Walmart, Sam’s Club, Lowes Foods
- Operations: Costco, Market Basket, BJ’s Warehouse, WinCo, Food4Less
- Convenience: Walmart, Market Basket, Publix, Fry’s, Jewel-Osco
- Speed: Fareway, Amazon, Aldi, Fresh Thyme, Publix
- Discounts, Rewards and Information: Fry’s, Kroger, Price Chopper, King Soopers, Winn-Dixie